Wednesday 2 November 2011

Ear Creation


To create the ear I began in the same way as I had created the face - by using the reference planes to lay out quads and then pull the vertices out in order to make the shape 3-dimensional. However, the ear is a very complex shape and I found this more difficult to model than the face.

One tool that came in very useful in modelling the ear was the chamfer tool. This enabled me to create better canals in the ear and achieve a more organic shape. Once again, the use of the TurboSmooth modifier allowed me to smooth the ear into a better finish.

I also found it quite hard to attach the ear. As with the back of the head, this was done using the weld and target weld tools. I started this process by removing faces from the head. I then created some new faces on the ear which could be used to join to the head.

In the end I think I achieved quite a good ear design. It does look slightly rigid and could be improved in the future for a more organic look, however the overall shape is quite well designed.

No comments:

Post a Comment