Saturday 1 October 2011

Reference Planes



To create reference planes for the head model, two pictures were taken of my head - one of the front elevation and the other of the side elevation. These pictures were then imported into Adobe Photoshop CS5.

In Photoshop, the images were placed next to each other and the first task was to line up all the key features such as the eyes, nose, mouth and chin. Using the rulers in Photoshop as a guide, I found that this was relatively straightforward and I managed to achieve a very good alignment.

Once the images had been aligned, the next task was to define the topology of the front elevation of the face and of the ear. This was not so straightforward. I used the pen tool in order to get the most accurate topology lines possible, however I found it very difficult to define the topology. In the end I did manage to achieve a fairly flowing sequence of quads across the face, but it was a challenging task. These reference planes will now be crucial when it comes to modelling the face.

No comments:

Post a Comment